Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Apple breaks new ground, but not really

Apple is making these announcements about a new product they are producing called the Apple Tablet. Apple is concerned that if it releases this new product will there be people and companies that will want to produce Apps for it. Seems like a really dumb concern but if I think really hard about it, the concern does not get any less dumb. I'm sure some Apple tech geek is sitting in his cramped cubicle screaming that the incentive to create Apps for this love child of his will be directly related to the success of the thing

"listen to me!!!"


However, why wouldn't this become an incredibly popular product? Its ground breaking, it offers more processing power and a bigger screen than an iPhone. Except, its really not ground breaking. All of the basic parts already come along with the iPhone albeit in a smaller size (pocket to be precise). The Tablet is a touch screen product similar to a laptop, well actually, it IS a laptop.


looks like a laptop to me, or at least the screen

Now Apple has a problem. I'm no market analyst or computer guru, but it seems to me that if you are going to release a laptop sized, laptop shaped, and laptop looking product, you might as well sell the thing as a laptop, because honestly, if that could play some of my favorite games, I would want one...badly. Being able to type , browse, play, blog, and all that awesome computer jazz through touch would be awkward at first but would give, at least me, a great sense of control.

One company has promised to help create Apps for the Tablet. A company called Appcelerator(clever) created operating systems and the like to help others produce Apps for various products. So at least the option will be there for Apps, but I think Apple would be better minded to advertise the Tablet as a touch screen laptop with all the laptop bits and pieces.





No comments:

Post a Comment