Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Simple Test

So I was given a very simple challenge. Turn off my computer for 48 hours. I was allowed to first get anything off of the computer that was necessary for homework. I sent my necessary sources and things to my email account so that I could work on them later. We were instructed not to use our own computers or our roommate's, but we were allowed to go to other places, like libraries for example. The first 24 hours of the challenge went pretty smoothly. I finished my final paper on another computer and then I returned to my room. I watched some TV played some Legend of Zelda and went to sleep, no big challenge. The final day was more difficult. I had no papers to write to take up my time and so the end of the day could not come fast enough. If I could sleep then the time would go by faster and the challenge would be gone sooner.

The point of the challenge was for us to experience a short amount of time in the digital divide. The Digital Divide is the reality that some areas of the world have access to technology while other areas do not. We had to try and live our lives without our most necessary tool and luxury, our computer. I can say that the challenge was doable for me because I know of places that are nearby that allow me access to computers and the internet. Also, unlike some people, I am not completely reliant on the computer or the cellphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment