Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Temple Grandin

Temple Grandin visited our university the other day and we had a chance to listen to her speak about the things she has learned and researched. Temple Grandin was an odd looking woman and I was not entirely sure what to expect from her, as I am always hesitant about speakers that schools bring in.


Temple Grandin (not the horse)
also, that horse has a nice comb over

You could possibly see why I might be unsure of her. I also deduced that she was autistic because I don't really know of people who talk about autism without somehow being associated with it. So now I am even more unsure of this speaker. However, she knows more about animal and human behavior than anybody I know including myself. She is smarter and more clever than anyone I know. She was also funny and it was impossible for me to understand how this lady could be autistic because she was just so intelligent and I think the problem there is that most people have a view of autism as people who can never become as intelligent or successful as regular folks. Those views are dead wrong


Pictured: my ideas about autistic people

She talked to us about how she figured out how to get cattle to be more cooperative when being moved from different pens. She also explained to us about how to use the obsessions that sometimes go along with autism to teach that person all the things that any other person would want to learn, even to a deeper extent. Check this out.






If you want to get to know some more about this woman I suggest her website. You can purchase her books, see the movie made about her, and you can read some of her featured articles. DO IT! it will change your views and enlighten you a bit.




No comments:

Post a Comment